Oddenino Family History
Chiles & Terrell

More research on these lines is being conducted and some changes may be made as more accurate data may dictate. Here is a link to research done on the Walter Chiles family. Walter Chiles and Walter Chiles, Jr. were prominent in Jamestown in the early colonial period. Walter Chiles senior served as Speaker of the House of Burgesses during the period in which the Roundheads or Parliamentarians (men at the court of Charles I wore their hair in long ringlets, whereas the Parliamentarians wore theirs short) ruled England though he remained a royalist. Click here for more on the English Civil War.


Here is the pedigree chart for Mary Chiles, wife of Tandy Kennon. The Chiles and Terrell families have deep roots in Virginia:


Henry Chiles was a Revolutionary War veteran who hailed from Caroline County, Virginia:


Here is a pension statement by Henry Chiles regarding his Revolutionary War service:
Henry Chiles' pension file number is S9175, Revolutionary War Pensions, Virginia.


Henry Chiles - Revolutionary War Pension - Madison Co., VA

The below was copied from the application of Henry Chiles on file in the National Archives, Washington, D. C.

23 November 1832

In order to obtain the benefits of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832, State of Virginia, Madison TS .

On this 23rd day of November 1832, personally appeared in open Court before the Justices of the County Court of Madison, Henry Chiles, a resident of the Town of Madison, in the County of Madison, in the State of Virginia, aged seventy years the 18th of December next, who being first duly sworn according to Law, doth on his oath make the following declarations in order to obtain the benefits of the Acts of Congress passed Jun the 7th......1832.

He entered the service of the United States under the following named officers, and served as herein stated. In the months of August or September 1778, I joined a volunteer company in the County of Caroline Virginia for a tour of three months. The company was commanded by Captain Philip Buckner.

"I faithfully served the three months, and was discharged at Petersburg on the 3rd day of December 1778. The company was marched to the Town of Richmond and attached to the Third Virginia State Regiment

Page 2

then under the command of Major Dickerson. Shortly after the Regiment was under the command of Colonel John Tyler of Caroline and the Regiment attached to the brigade commanded by General Spotswood. From the Town of Richmond I marched to Williamsburg, and from there to Old Jamestown where we had an engagement with the enemy which resulted in our loosing twelve or fourteen men, killed and wounded, and from talking from the enemy about the same number of persons. The British troops made their escape on board of their vessels except the few killed and taken from Jamestown. I marched to Ruffins Ferry, twelve or fourteen miles below the City of Richmond and crossed to the south side of James River, and from there to a plantation belonging to a man by the name of MacKay. he was said to be a Tory, and the field officer took up quarters there in his house and remained there near two months. From thence I marched to Cabbin Point, and from there to Petersburg where I was discharged. The discharge long since lost.

Page 3

In the year 1779 in the month of May, I was drafted in the County of Caroline Virginia where I was born and resided until 1800. Then my second tour was for two months. I was attached to the company commanded by Captain Anthony New and marched to the City of Richmond and attached to the Regiment of Militia commanded by Colonel Mathews. The Regiment attached to the Brigade commanded by General Nelson from Richmond. I marched to the neighborhood of Norfolk and Hampton where I was discharged. In the latter part of the year 1779, I was again drafted from the County of Caroline Virginia for a tour of two months and attached to the company commanded by Captain John Tyler and again marched to the Town of Richmond and attached to the Brigade commanded by General Mecklenburg. I was marched and counter marched during this tour to various points in the lower part of Virginia and finally discharged near Norfolk.

Page 4

In the year 1781, I was again drafted in the month of April or May in the County of Caroline Virginia for a Tour of two months and attached to the Company commanded by Captain George Madison. I was again marched to Richmond and attached to the Regiment in the command of Colonel Cary. and again marched and counter marched to various points on the Rivers and Bays keeping a lookout for the movements of the enemy. Seven remaining more days at the same place and finally discharged near Hampton in Virginia.

In the month of August or September 1781, I was again drafted from the County and State I had heretofore been drafted from. This time for a tour of three months and attached to the Company under command of Captain Thomas Ellis. I was marched to Richmond in great haste and the day after sent with others to a place called Malden Hills in Charles City County and attached to the Regiment commanded by Colonel Dick.

Page 5

After remaining at Malden Hills a few days attached to the company commanded by Captain George Waugh. I was appointed by him a sergeant and with a sergeants guard, I was ordered to a place on the bank of James River called Turkey Island for the purpose of keeping a lookout on the movements of the enemy then on James River. I remained with the men attached to the guard for some time, and from there was ordered to join that portion of the army stationed at the Malden Hills.

From the Malden Hills I was again ordered with my sergeants guard to join a detachment under the command of a substitute officer to take a stand on James River near the Malden Hills and lay in ambush to wait the motions of some enemy vessels whose men were plundering the farms on the River. It was our good fortune to meet with sixteen of the enemy with loaded sheeps and other articles taken from the adjoining farms just at the moment that they had reached their boats. The vessels to which they belonged then lying in sight at anchor. It was at this junction we gave them a fire from every musket and killed or took out sixteen. Fourteen of them and the other two were severely wounded. Would not take time even to bury the killed but threw them into the River, burnt the boats and retreated with the two wounded prisoners to the station at the Malden Hills. From after reaching the station at the Malden Hills, the commander at the time, Colonel Dick, retreated with the view of joining that fraction of the American Army under the command of General Waugh, and at the same time ordered me with my sergeants guard to proceed in all haste to the County of Henrico to a long string of bridges called the New Bridges and from thence to another string of bridges called the Meadow Bridges, both of them crossing what is called the Chickahominy Swamp with

Page 7

orders to burn them both. This order I faithfully executed and rendered them unsafe to a pursuing enemy. This service was performed without a cent of money in our pockets on a single ration in our napsacks. When it was finished we made our way to the nearest farm house which was a Mr. Treachear and met with what we greatly needed, meat, and drink in abundance, and no charge for it. From there we made our way to Captain Dowells on the Pamunkey River, and was by him furnished with what we wanted to eat and drink. The American Army was then on the retreat to Raccoon Fords in to.............(illegible) and we making every effort to overtake them and not meet with them until we reached the Raccoon Ford. The Army then commanded a movement towards the County occupied by the enemy, which was effected by creating a new road, which I assisted in making. In a few days we had the enemy before as making their

Page 8

way toward Yorktown. I was at Yorktown on the Gloucester side, a few days after the regular siege commenced, and remained with the surrender of the British Army to the combined American and French forces. After the surrender, I assisted in guarding the prisoners to Gloucester in Virginia where I was honourably discharged, and the discharge for this and other four, long since lost. The amount of my deferment tours for which I was drafted and volunteered is twelve months, but in addition to that I substituted myself in a four under Captain New in the year 1778 or 1779. I remained in service this four only twenty six days. I was a substitute for Satchel Thacker of the County of Caroline Virginia.

The only testimony I can procure from those in service with me is the certificate from Patrick Carnal, William Coats, and Robert Wright, all of the County of Caroline Virginia.

I refer to my neighbors William Finks, Abraham Tinsley, Hackett Gibbs, and Charles R. Gibbs of Madison as to my character and handling as a man of truth and veracity.

He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension of annuity except the present and declaring that his name is not on the Pension Roll of the agency of any State.

Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid.

Signed Henry Chiles / Seal